Thursday, August 5, 2010

'Notify Grounds Crew' Daylily

What's in a name? During our July pilgrimage to Kingwood Center in Mansfield, Ohio, I photographed this unlabelled daylily. It towered over all other daylilies in the large display bed. Of course, my curiosity go the better of me, and I had to know its name.

Mystery solved, thanks to Mr. Charles Applegate, Kingwood gardener for the past 42 years. Charles called me, and provided the pedigree of 'Notify Ground Crew'. What a great name, one that I will not likely to forget.
'Notify Ground Crew" is a mid-season tetraploid bloomer. It exhibits extremely tall 72-inch high floral scapes and is well-branched (see photo). Cheery, 5 inch wide, bright yellow flowers tower above all other daylily varieties in the bed. It was bred by Curt Hanson in Michigan and introduced in 2000. It is very modestly priced and available from several on-line nurseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment